Home Decoration Services Hermanus ~ Winter Days
Redesigning and redecorating your home in the winter months is a great idea because not only you can brighten up your house and banish the winter blues but you can also transform it into a warm and cozy retreat while the world outside is chilly and cold.
During the cold winter months, we like to spend far more time indoors, and so the home decor is all the more important. Here are some simple yet effective ideas to brighten things up around the house in winter:
- Change the focal point of the living room by rearranging the seating. If you have a fireplace arrange the seating to face the hearth to create a cozy gathering place for friends and family.
- Bare flooring is fine in summer but in winter ensure that your home is warm underfoot by adding rugs for warmth and texture
- Use as many natural fabrics as you can as they give your room a warm and comfortable look. Fabrics like brushed cotton, velvet and cashmere have warm textures to keep you warm but also feel amazing on the skin so have throws and cushions in these fabrics layered on your sofas and beds.
- Avoid the winter blues with a new and unexpected infusion of colour in a throw or vibrantly patterned cushion
- Re-assess the lighting in your home – there is nothing worse than a home that is just too gloomy and dark so invest in some dimmer switches, floor lamps that can be strategically places and don’t forget candles for added atmosphere and scent
- Don’t forget to maximize the natural winter light available in your home – a simple way to do this is to hang a large mirror on a suitable wall or above the mantelpiece as this will reflect light throughout the room.
- Switch to heavier fabrics and deeper colours for winter and block out chilly winter drafts by changing your curtains from the light ones used in summer
- Finally, rearrange the furniture and accessories – very often we do not even notice things anymore because they have been in the same place for so long