Onrus Interior Designer ~ Home Office
A growing number of people are working from home and whether they are self-employed or consulting for firms the number is expected to increase in the next few years.
Setting up a home office usually involves a spare bedroom because unless you have regular guests staying over, the space is generally underused. Alternatively a garage conversion or extension can be undertaken for the extra space. You do not need a big room to make a home office work unless your job requires large amounts of storage space. Very often a desk and small storage cabinet or bookshelf is sufficient but it is important to make the most of your home office if you are going to be spending any considerable amount of time in it – so no matter where you have decided to set up your home office, here are my ideas for making the space as user-friendly as possible:
- Arrange the furniture to help you reduce distractions and focus on work – if you are easily distracted by noise, move your desk to a wall that faces a typically quiet room of the house or the outside
- If you are going to need to meet with clients in your home office, you will need set up a small table and chairs in a corner
- If you actually need a distraction during work then adding a single piece of gym equipment is an option – for example a bike or treadmill. This has the advantage of giving your home office a dual purpose as a home gym too.
- In terms of decor keep the home office simply furnished, impeccably clean, and attractively decorated in your favorite style. Subdued colours create a professional atmosphere while modern brights are inspiring and show off your creative side.
- Don’t forget the essentials – a phone line connected to the home office for internet access, a suitable desk, comfortable seating and most of all, plenty of storage space.
- Personalise your home office with photographs and personal items, add interesting pencil holders, paper trays and stationary accessories and decorate the wall with an eye-catching bulletin board or blackboard.